We’re exploring the delicious world of grilled chicken legs today. Join me as we transform these budget-friendly cuts into mouthwatering delights on the grill. So, How to cook chicken legs on the grill?
These chicken wings are seasoned with a special blend of kosher salt and Johnny Seasoned Pepper before being topped with a delicious Kinder’s mild barbecue sauce.
- Season with salt and Johnny Seasoned Pepper for tasty grilled chicken legs.
- Prevent sticking by adding a bit of avocado oil to the grill grates.
- Turn chicken every 5 minutes and keep an eye on heat to avoid issues.
- Brush on barbecue sauce near the end for a sweet and peppery finish.
- Chicken stays juicy, even if you cook it a bit longer – play with temperatures for your preferred tenderness.
No matter your experience with grilling or barbecue, this recipe offers a tasty and straightforward path to flawless grilling.
|Read More – The 10 Best Grill Mat
How Long Do You Cook Chicken Legs on the Grill
So, how long do you grill chicken legs? The chicken legs are cooked on the grill for approximately 30 minutes in the provided recipe. The cooking time may vary based on factors such as the specific grill, its temperature, and the size of the chicken legs.
Monitor the internal temperature of the chicken legs using a meat thermometer and ensure it reaches a minimum of 165°F (74°C) for food safety.
Adjust the cooking time to achieve the desired level of doneness and flavor. Here’s a simple step-by-step guide on how long to grill chicken drumsticks:
- Preheat the Grill: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. This usually takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Season the Drumsticks: Season the chicken drumsticks with your preferred seasonings. It could include salt, pepper, garlic powder, or any other spices you like.
- Grill the Drumsticks: Place the drumsticks on the preheated grill. Grill for about 10-15 minutes on one side.
- Flip and Continue Grilling: Flip the drumsticks using tongs and grill for an additional 10-15 minutes on the other side. Continue grilling until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165°F (74°C). Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature by inserting it into the thickest part of the drumstick without touching the bone.
- Optional: Sauce Glazing: If you want to add barbecue sauce or any glaze, do so in the last 5-10 minutes of grilling. This prevents the sugars in the sauce from burning.
|Read More – Grilled Food That Starts With ‘N’
How to Cook Chicken Legs on the Grill
- 4.22 pounds of chicken legs
- Avocado oil (for coating)
- Kosher salt
- Johnny Seasoned Pepper (or substitute with regular pepper)
- Barbecue sauce (Kinder's mild recommended)
- Grill with cast iron grates
- Tongs for flipping
- Basting brush
- Meat thermometer
To cook chicken legs on the grill, grill them for 30 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and barbecue sauce. Make sure the internal temperature reaches 165°F for tasty and tender results.
Follow these step by step instructions:
Prepare the Chicken
- Rinse the chicken legs and pat them dry.
- To prevent sticking, coat the cast iron grates with a little avocado oil.
Season the Chicken
- Evenly cover each chicken leg with kosher salt.
- Apply Johnny Seasoned Pepper (or regular pepper) for added flavor. Adjust the amount based on personal preference.
- Optionally, experiment with your favorite barbecue rubs or chicken seasonings.
Preheat the Grill
- Preheat your grill with cast iron grates for about 10 minutes on high heat.
- Place the seasoned chicken legs on the preheated grill.
- Grill on high heat, turning every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking. Monitor for any potential flame-ups.
- After about 30 minutes, check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer. Aim for a minimum of 165°F, but chicken legs can be cooked to a higher temperature without drying out.
- Once the chicken legs are near the desired internal temperature, reduce the grill heat to low.
- Brush Kinder's mild barbecue sauce onto the chicken legs. Avoid applying the sauce too early to prevent burning due to the sugar content.
- Continue cooking until the chicken reaches the desired internal temperature and the barbecue sauce is caramelized.
- Perform a taste test to ensure the chicken legs are flavorful and cooked to perfection.
- The combination of the seasoned pepper and sweet barbecue sauce should provide a delicious balance.
- Remove the chicken legs from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious grilled chicken legs!
FAQs – People Also Ask
Can I use a different type of pepper if I don’t have Johnny Seasoned Pepper?
Yes! If you don’t have Johnny Seasoned Pepper, regular black pepper works just fine. Experiment with your favorite pepper blends to customize the flavor to your liking.
How do I prevent the chicken legs from sticking to the grill grates?
To prevent sticking, coat the grill grates with a thin layer of avocado oil before placing the chicken. Additionally, make sure the grill is properly preheated.
Can I use a different barbecue sauce?
Certainly! While the recipe suggests Kinder’s mild barbecue sauce, feel free to use your favorite barbecue sauce or even make your own. Just remember to apply it towards the end of the grilling process to avoid burning.
How do I know when the chicken legs are done?
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Chicken legs are safe to eat at 165°F but can be cooked to a higher temperature without drying out. Aim for a juicy and flavorful result.
Can I cook these chicken legs in an oven if I don’t have a grill?
Yes! While grilling adds a unique flavor, you can bake the seasoned chicken legs in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) until they reach the desired internal temperature. Finish with barbecue sauce for that grilled-like glaze.
And there you have it, folks — our journey from raw chicken legs to a delightful grilled feast is complete. The savory aroma, the tempting char marks, and the perfect blend of seasoned pepper and sweet barbecue sauce create a symphony of flavors that’s hard to resist.
Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or simply craving a delicious meal, these grilled chicken legs will surely be a hit.
Feel free to experiment with your favorite seasonings and sauces to make this recipe your own. Thanks for joining me on this culinary adventure, and until next time, happy cooking!
Hello! I’m Paula Deen, a mother who loves to create memories in the kitchen. As a kitchen enthusiast, I love to do experiment with different kitchenware for daily recipes. This is my blog, where I’ll share my experience, knowledge, and reviews on various kitchenware and appliances.