Hello, everyone! Welcome back to Early in Time. Today, I’m thrilled to share a delightful copycat olive garden chicken gnocchi soup recipe with you. What makes it even more exciting? It’s an Olive Garden copycat recipe that’s sure to satisfy your cravings.
- In less than 20 minutes, you can make Olive Garden’s Chicken Gnocchi Soup at home, making a delicious and comforting meal suitable for any occasion.
- Enjoy a rich, creamy broth that perfectly balances the flavors of chicken, veggies, and gnocchi. A dash of nutmeg adds just the right amount of flavor.
- Use common grocery store items to recreate this restaurant favorite—no fancy or hard-to-find ingredients are needed.
- Customize the soup to suit your taste by playing with salt levels and adding a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese for an extra flavor boost.
- Impress yourself or guests with a homemade version of the beloved Chicken Gnocchi Soup that captures the essence of dining out without the fuss.
Let’s dive into the ingredients and steps to recreate this beloved soup in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
To make Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup, sauté onions, celery, and garlic, then add flour, half-and-half, and chicken broth. Incorporate gnocchi, cooked chicken, Parmesan, and spinach, seasoning to taste for a comforting soup ready in under 20 minutes.
- 16 ounces of potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (plus extra for topping, if desired)
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups chopped chicken (boneless, skinless chicken thighs recommended)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup half-and-half (or a mixture of half milk and half heavy cream)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- Large pot
- Mixing utensils (for sautéing and stirring)
- Ladle (for serving)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board and knife (for chopping vegetables and chicken)
- Grater (for shredding Parmesan cheese)
Let's begin with the step-by-step guide!
Step 1: Prepare Gnocchi
Boil the potato gnocchi according to the package instructions (usually 3-4 minutes). Set aside.
Step 2: Saute Aromatics
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add olive oil. Mix until combined.
- Add diced onions and celery, sauté on medium heat for about 2 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
Step 3: Create Roux
Sprinkle flour over the onion mixture and mix until well blended.
Step 4: Add Liquid Ingredients
Pour in the half-and-half, raise the heat to medium-high, and let it come to a simmer. Allow it to simmer until it thickens slightly.
Step 5: Introduce Chicken Broth and Spices
- Add chicken broth to the pot and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in thyme, dried parsley, and nutmeg.
Step 6: Incorporate Vegetables and Gnocchi
- Add carrots to the soup and mix well.
- Carefully add the cooked gnocchi in batches, ensuring they are not stuck together.
Step 7: Combine Chicken and Cheese
Mix in the chopped chicken and shredded Parmesan cheese until the cheese is melted.
Step 8: Season and Add Spinach
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt (adjust to taste) and incorporate.
- Finally, add baby spinach and let it cook for about two minutes until wilted.
Once the soup is ready, ladle it into bowls. Optionally, top with additional Parmesan cheese.
Your Olive Garden-inspired Chicken Gnocchi Soup is ready to be enjoyed! This quick and flavorful recipe is perfect for a cozy night in.
Can I use pre-packaged gnocchi for this recipe?
In the pasta section, you can find pre-packaged gnocchi at your local grocery store. Simply follow the package instructions for boiling before adding them to the soup.
Can I substitute chicken breasts for chicken thighs?
Yes, you can substitute chicken breasts for thighs. However, thighs are preferred for their tenderness and flavor in this recipe.
Can I use frozen spinach instead of fresh baby spinach?
Yes, you can substitute frozen spinach. Make sure to thaw and drain it before adding it to the soup. Adjust the quantity based on your preference.
How long does it take to make this soup?
This soup is quick to prepare, taking less than 20 minutes. It’s perfect for a busy weeknight or when you’re craving a comforting meal without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Is the nutmeg essential in this recipe?
Yes, the nutmeg adds a unique and essential flavor to the soup. It’s recommended not to skip this ingredient for the authentic Olive Garden taste.
Can I freeze the soup?
It’s best not to freeze the soup as the texture of the dairy may change upon thawing. However, you can freeze the soup without the dairy and add it when reheating for a better result.
What can I serve with this soup?
Can I customize the vegetable quantities to my liking?
Feel free to adjust the quantities of celery, carrots, and spinach according to your preference. Customizing the recipe to suit your taste is part of the fun.
This copycat olive garden chicken gnocchi soup is easy to make and a quick delight, taking less than 20 minutes to prepare. Enjoy the warmth and flavor of this comforting soup, and don’t hesitate to share it with family and friends. Thank you for joining me in the kitchen.