Classification and list of kitchen utensils: The territory of the kitchen is often considered a female prerogative. Each hostess tries to provide comfort in the kitchen space so that the gastronomic cooking masterpiece is the most convenient, does not take much time and is pleased with its results. The kitchen should have many utensils because dishes are a faithful assistant on the way to culinary success.
Classification & List of Kitchen Utensils
If you think about what kitchen utensils are, then it will not immediately be possible to cover in your head the entire list of components included in this concept. Cookware is a tool that helps to ensure the complete preparation of dishes. For ease of understanding, this classification consists of a description of the function performed in the kitchen.
Utensils for thermal processing of food:
- Frying pan
- Baking sheet
- Kettle, ladle
- Molds for baking in the oven, pots, cocotte makers.
Cookware used outside the stove:
- Grater, Garlic press
- Cutting Board
- Mortar and Pestle, Mill
- Kitchen Utensils: pouring spoons, spatulas, pushers, rolling pins, a meat pounder, a confectionery syringe, knives, can openers, scissors.
What Kinds of Cookware Are There Based on the Materials They Are Made of?
From the range offered by manufacturers, you can choose cookware made of heat-resistant glass, stainless steel, ceramics, silicon, aluminum and cast iron raw materials. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so you should carefully consider this choice.
Depending on the material, pans are divided into the following types:
- Aluminum – you can cook and stew various cookwares in them, but you can’t store them later, as this will lead to oxidation of the walls of the product, and the food will become unsuitable for consumption.
- Stainless steel – have only favorable properties. The cookwares are designed for cooking various dishes, do not oxidize, have an anti-corrosion effect, do not break, and are convenient for everyday care.
- Heat-resistant glass – mainly suitable for ovens, and microwaves, as they are used on the stove with a special fire divider. Second courses are prepared in the dishes, or confectionery products are baked. It is inert to products. Therefore it is suitable for storage.
- Ceramic – the most versatile, therefore in demand. They prepare cookware in different ways (boiling, frying, stewing, baking). They are also designed for all types of stoves. The peculiarity of the cookware is in the presence of a thickened bottom with the addition of a magnet plate. Products in such pans do not burn and do not require a lot of oil.
- Silicone – It is a novelty on the market, the advantage of which is lightweight. Even the most “capricious” product will not stick to the walls of such dishes. Outside, the bottom is made of metal, so you can safely place it under the burner’s fire.
Classification of pots
Pots differ in size, the raw materials from which they are made, the type of inner coating, and auxiliary devices.
The concept of dimensions includes the difference in diameter, wall height, and the total volume of the product. Pot-sizes are small, medium and large. For the safety of dishes, the diameter at the bottom must be larger than the size of the burner.
Depending on the size of the pots, they can be used for soup, borscht (large), second courses (medium), cooking cereals, sausages, and eggs (small).
Pots are equipped with handles and a lid. The handle can be cast or separately attached to the outside of the pan. In this case, the first option is considered more durable. Holders are made of metal, plastic or rubber. It is convenient when the cookware does not heat up during cooking.
To prevent the dish from burning, the thickness of the bottom of the pan is an important point. The larger it is, the better and more evenly it heats up. So, a thickness of at least 4 cm is recommended for frying.
They also came up with a unique capsule bottom made of several metal plates. A reasonably convenient way to save space on the shelves of kitchen cabinets will be the purchased set of pots that fit into each other during storage.
The inner surface of the pans is made with the following types of non-stick coatings – Teflon coating, ceramic coating, stone, and titanium coating. They require the observance of simple rules of operation, which allow them to maintain the suitability of cookware for cooking longer.
Currently, almost all pans have a non-stick coating with various compositions:
- Ceramic: Ceramic, also called thermal, durable and practical. The requirements for use include control over the absence of a sharp temperature contrast and a special spatula for mixing.
- Teflon: Teflon is the most popular type of coating, making the pan comfortable and safe for frying. The requirements for the operation of cookware are the same as for ceramics. Enamel is easy to clean, but it is more fragile, so it needs to be treated with care.
- Titanium: Titanium is the highest quality type of coating. It has a lot of advantages: durable, does not require “gentle” spatulas and spoons, you need to pour little oil during frying, and the surface does not oxidize.
Pans and Their Types
Depending on the dish’s preparation, the pan used can be a classic pancake, grill pan, or wok. Or it will be a tagline, a cauldron, a saj, a roaster. Pans of different crafts, characterized by the type of feedstock and outer coating. Also, high-quality pans come at a reasonable cost. This group includes the following types:
- Cast iron is a good and durable helper in the kitchen. It is not afraid of mixing food with a metal spoon, it is practical in terms of preparing different dishes, and it is easy to take care of it. A fatty non-stick layer gradually forms on its surface, so do not be zealous when washing it. The only requirement for cookware is good drying so that rust does not appear.
- Aluminum – light in weight, quickly heats up and also cools down. An aluminum frying pan is coated with a special coating to eliminate oxidation. Suitable for frying and stewing.
- Steel – popular for its safety for food, it is durable and has thick walls that allow you to simmer the dish for a long time until the final preparation. One minus of cookware is burning during the frying process, which is eliminated by the frequent stirring of the dish.
Kitchen Utensils – Types
For a kitchen to be truly functional, it needs complete equipment. It includes the overall elements of utensils and various little things that perform an auxiliary function for the entire preparation of your favorite dishes. This inventory is divided into two groups:
- Mandatory elements include knives, cutting boards, spoons, spatulas, rolling pins, skimmers, and potato mashers.
- Additional elements are designed to expand the functionality of the kitchen. These include a measuring cup, whisks, scissors, a dumpling maker, a shredder, a garlic press, a juicer, a pizza knife, various coasters, and nets for quick vegetable cutting.
Each item of kitchen utensils is designed for a particular application. The primary materials from which this kitchenware is made are wood, metal, silicone and plastic. They are subject to requirements for comfort for use, durability and ease of washing. Modern kitchen utensils are convenient and safe, which allows you to turn the process of cooking into a pleasant pastime.
Hello! I’m Paula Deen, a mother who loves to create memories in the kitchen. As a kitchen enthusiast, I love to do experiment with different kitchenware for daily recipes. This is my blog, where I’ll share my experience, knowledge, and reviews on various kitchenware and appliances.